Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 7: Sintra

Today was our final day in Portugal and we had decided that we would take a day trip to Sintra, a city filled with castles.  We checked out of our hotel and went down to the main train station to drop off our things in a locker for the day.  We then boarded a train to go 45 minutes out of the city to a cute little city closer to the ocean.  We had picked out two different castles that we wanted to see.  One was on top of a mountain and the other I had found pictures of via Pinterest.  So we decided to start with the one on top of the hill called Pena. We decided that it would be enough for us to just walk around in the garden and through the woods to different view points instead of going into the castle.  While still in Kuwait I had hoped to have the chance to walk in the woods for bit and this fulfilled that want.  Being among so much green really felt.  The views were also really nice. After walking through the woods we headed to the second point of interest that we had chosen, the Quinta da Regaleira.  My interest here was based on a picture that I had found on pinterest of a spiraling staircase that went into the ground.  I didn't know that this was found here but after Kaija's boyfriend tried to describe it I was excited to visit it.  This is a place that pretty much could have come out of a fairy tale, towers that I am sure Rapunzel would have been locked up in.  Even my found pinterest picture lived up to what I had hoped it would be. After wandering through the woods and through the fairy world it wad time to head back to Lisbon to find something for dinner.  In the end Lisbon was a very nice city. Only thing is it has very slippery tiles for walk ways and this made me nervous as walking up and down the hills because I don't like to fall.  Not sure how the locals do it.  Tonight we are off on a night train again back to Madrid and then off to Barcelona.  My favorite city.

No comments:

Post a Comment