Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 13: Sevilla

Today is our final day in Sevilla.  I had read about a palace that was apparently according to the app I have a "must see".  So convincing Kaija and Pecis we all made that our point of interest for this mornings walk. The Real Alcazar was once also a fortress also.  Here you could see beautifully tiled ceilings and walls along with very pretty gardens.  We spent once again quite a while just wandering from room to room.  Some parts of this palace are still used when Spanish royals come to visit. Next it was time to buckle down and find the few touristy things that we wanted to purchase.  For as long as I can remember I have always collected these little spoons.  They end up being nice souvenirs and last Christmas my father gifted me a case so that I could display all of them.  Since moving to Latvia and through all the trips I have been on since then, I have also begun to collect magnets.  These I bring with me and make a great decoration and reminder of all the places I have been.  I have. Scratch off world map that shows me just how little of the world I have been but these magnets make me feel as if I have actually seen quite a bit.  Magnets are easy to find, they are pretty standard for every tourist shop.  While the spoons you can also find in most tourist shops, finding a nice and not so tacky one some times proves to be difficult.  After all I don't just want a spoon, I want a spoon that is pretty and I want to look back on.  With a magnet found I decided to leave finding a spoon for later as we wander around in the evening. We decided to return to our found restaurant and see if we could at least have lunch there.  To our luck that is just how it worked out.  On Thierry menu we had read that for a nice price of 5.95euro you could get a basket of bread, something to drink, a first course and then a second course.  The first course was great, a nice and small burrito with. Few fries.  Hoping the the second course would be of similar size we were excited about our restaurant choice.  though before finishing off our small burritos the second course was upon us and it as a full one!  I had ordered a chicken burger and it was HUGE.  It for sure turned out to be a great price for all the food that we got. And because it was so cheap I didn't feel too bad about not finishing the entire burger. Stuffed to the gills we headed back to our room to rest and relax again.  Sevilla doesn't have that much to see and we had felt that we had seen pretty much all that there was to see.  Until we started to write post cards and realized that we all had a post card of a place that we had not seen.  With time on our side we still had the evening to find this place and according to the map it wasn't that far away.  As we walked in the direction of Our destination we found ourselves among a rally.  One that we could only tell had to do with the economic crisis and the lowering of wages.  We observed for a little and then decided to just continue on our way (by now I had also found my spoon).  We our way into the Parque de Maria Luisa to the Plaza de Espana. This semi circle buidling was built for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929.  Now it is a place you can wander around for free.  We wandered around here for a bit and then decided since we were still quite full from lunch that we would just pick up a few snacks from the food store and sit once again on the roof enjoying the slightly cooler air and each others company.  Tomorrow we are off to Algeciras to see the Rock of Gibraltar and to continue seeing more of the southern parts of Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment