Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Moving around for my last few weeks in Latvia

So since we have a renter coming into my house I was asked to move out sooner because A) she would be arriving before I leave and B) the apartment that we are renovating should be ready enough for me to move in there.  Well A happened and B . . .  not quite.  The new renter is this nice American who will be working at the other international school here in Latvia.  Yesterday I moved all of my final things out and she took over my house.  A very sad day.  After living in my house for 4 years, I am really sad to leave it in the hands of someone else.  Its weird, I kind of wish I didn't have to see someone else living in my house but whatever . . . life goes on.

So back to B.  A few months ago we final go the "renters" out of another one of our houses within the same land plot.  (Our land has 3 houses on it that belong to us . . . at one time was 4 but that's a story for another time)  We have been busily trying to renovate it but as all good renovations, it is taking longer than planned.  With that in mind the house was not ready for us to move it.  Could have moved in but there is no water for the bathroom (which is the main problem) and no kitchen (not a big problem).  So  with that knowledge I had to find somewhere else to stay for at least a week (fingers crossed . .  holding thumbs!).  The fantastic people that we have as family friends and who have helped us with our houses and me during these four years have an apartment in Riga.  Since they live in one of our houses over the summer, their apartment was give to us to use for the week.  So with minimal items and my cat and brother, we have moved to the Riga apartment for the week.  I have never lived in an apartment for more than one night so it will be a test run of what the next 2 years will look like.

My cat has become more comfortable with the move and I am sure that by the end of the week will be ready to travel anywhere.  We hope to be back in Jurmala  by the end of the weekend and living in the newly renovated house.