Sunday, May 15, 2011

To bring or not to bring . . . that is the question.

 

With my flight plan on my mind and the school year coming to an end, I am trying to figure out how I am going to move out of my house here in Latvia.  It seems like ages ago that I moved here with all my stuff.  I look around now and it doesn’t seem like a lot of stuff but to be honest I know that things are just going to keep piling up and all sorts of things will come out of this house. Not sure how I am doing to get it all somewhere.

My first big task is to figure out what will be going to the states.  On the 26th of June I am flying home for a few weeks.  Plans for those weeks:  bring things home and organize storing it all in my parent’s house, hang out with friends, catch up with family, but most importantly get my visa papers taken care of.  That is first before everything else.  I hope I won’t have to take 4 weeks doing just that.

I come back to Latvia on the 24th of July to pack up my things for Kuwait.  I hope to at that time have more of a sense of what is going.  My brother hopes to be here too to help and we want to do some traveling during the time before my flight to Kuwait.

Reality is starting to hit.  I am leaving my comfort country of Latvia to go out into the world to see what it has to offer.  Its exciting but scary at the same time.  I never thought of myself as a person to do something like this but gosh  am I ever going to just jump right in and see what its like.  I have never been one to slowly walk into the cold lake/pool, I need to jump in to get in.

I have worries but at the same time those worries are masked by my extreme excitement for this adventure.  I don’t know what to expect.  The idea that 20 degrees will be cold and 40 degrees is a normal day is mind boggling.  Especially since now here in Latvia its close to 20 degrees and that feels nice and warm.  But I suppose the change between 40 degrees dropping to 20 degrees is the same change as 20 degrees dropping to 0.  Something new to experience.

So lo and behold, I am trying to get rid of un-needed items so that I don’t need to bring as much.